S.J. Irvine Fine Foods Ltd. is a manufacturer of high-quality processed meats for the foodservice and retail industries and operates out of a modern facility located in Saskatoon, SK.
This position will be directly responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating all accounting functions as well as assisting the General Manager with operational functions of SJ Fine Foods. You will also represent SJ Fine Foods in the mentorship and future growth of all accounting and operational-related functions.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee the accounting functions of financial accounting, accounts payable, and banking.
- Directly responsible for planning/directing/coordinating all accounting functions.
- Mentorship and future growth of all accounting-related functions. Integrates and trains new staff while leading the continued professional development of the existing team.
- Manage month-end closing and prepare monthly financial statements and other operational reports, on a monthly, quarterly, yearly basis.
- Analyze variances and communicates explanations to management with recommended actions.
- General ledger oversight including monthly balance sheet reconciliations – review and ensuring that all general ledger accounts are reconciled on a regular basis and items followed up. Management of accruals and ensuring timely adjustments.
- Prepare forecasts of income statement, and statement of cash flows for the Plant
- Standard Cost Evaluation/Maintenance – generating standard costs for our business, understanding increases/decreases in the costing, understanding impacts on our business in terms of Margin and EBITDA. Communicating standards to sales divisions in a timely manner.
- Collaborates with General Manager, Plant staff, and senior management to explain results, make improvements, manage projects, identify inefficiencies, understand operations and lead the development of complex analysis.
- Developing, monitoring, and communicating business performance metrics
- Monitor and implement plant internal controls (in conjunction with corporate policies) as necessary to ensure reporting integrity, safeguard company assets, and identify risks.
- Managing the budget process.
- Contract negotiations/legal proceedings as required.
- Intercompany transactions and dealings with related companies.
- RFC for capital exp – need to ensure any capital spend is in line with corporate policy and generates an IRR of 15%.
- Driving Innovation/ESG initiatives.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed.
- Being the leader for the business, building office morale, cohesiveness amongst the departments.
- Hiring, training, and retaining skilled accounting staff
- Providing excellent customer service within and externally.
- CPA Designation
- 10 + Years of professional experience at a management level
- Controllers must have good planning and organizational skills, solid communication, technology, analytical, and management skills.
- Candidates should possess knowledge of all aspects of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and IFRS Standards.
- Knowledge of budgeting and forecasting techniques as well as proficiency with financial statement analysis and projection.
- Cost accounting experience
- Experience in handling multiple concurrent tasks and meeting strict deadlines